Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The World Wars

We have now begun studying WWI (Chapter 24) and WWII (Chapter 27) in class. We will be doing a lot of comparisons between the wars and will also pick one subject on which to specialize and do a presentation on.

Your homework for Thanksgiving weekend is to ask your parents and other relatives about WWII. What did your relatives (living or dead) do during the war? Where did they live? Do you have any pictures or other artifacts to share? (Be ready to journal your findings after the break.) If you can bring in artifacts to class, great. If not that’s fine, just don’t forget to ask to see them.

One example is Catlin’s story. She found out about her family’s connection to the war. She wrote:
History has always been a boring subject to me, but now I think I understand that history isn't just some event that happened to somebody else or took place somewhere else. It happens to real people and World War II happened to my grandfather.

When we first started working on this project, I confess, I didn't know much about World War II. When someone mentioned it to me, I would've been like "UGH. History? Yuck." But as I started reading more and more about it, my interest grew because just knowing someone who fought in a war made it more real to me.

You can read the rest by clicking here and other stories about WWII by clicking here.

No comments: