Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Thanksgiving in Bolivia


As I've said before, my cousin Joy is in Bolivia with the Peace Corps. Here's an email from her:

From : Joy
Sent : Tuesday, November 21, 2006 7:57 PM
Subject : Thanksgiving

Hi all,
Im doing well here in Vallgrande. Most of the kids
from the orphanage are leaving to their homes for the
holidays, so it will definitely be quiet for me in
December and January (And to be quite honest, Im
looking forward to a little bit of downtime after such
a busy Fall...err...Spring). Im going to miss the
little rugrats, though.


I have my English class at the university tonight, for
which I just prepared a quiz. I started back in
September with 27 students, and now I am down to 16. A
bunch of them decided they didnt have the time or
didnt have the ganas (will) to learn English. However,
I sure like the smaller class!

Tomorrow I am headed to a small town called Buena
Vista, which is about 8 hours (by bus and taxi) from
Vallegrande. Buena Vista sits on the edge of the
mountainous and tropical Amboro National Park (Mom and
Dad, it´s a lot like Samaipata, but on the other side
of the National Park). I plan to get there tomorrow
late afternoon and hopefully will have some time to
hike before all the Turkey Day festivities start. All
of the Santa Cruz Department Peace Corps volunteers
are meeting up there at a resort where we will spend
Thanksgiving. Peace Corps provides us with turkeys and
the resort will prepare all the food! Then most of us
will be in Santa Cruz City this weekend to go to a
waterpark (!!) for the goodbye party of several
third-year volunteers. Looking forward to escaping to
the city for a few days...my service is definitely
getting to the point where Im counting down the
months.

I´m not sure if I´ll have internet before Friday.
However, please know Im thinking about everyone and
hoping the best recovery for Grandma.

Lots of love and Happy Thanksgiving,
Joy

p.s. Mom, is there anyway you can freeze some pumpkin
and pecan pie for me????

No comments: