Friday, July 07, 2006

Simplified Speleeg?
When I was reading through this very interesting article about the push for simplified spelling I was shocked to find out that it’s an old idea.

“It's been 100 years since Andrew Carnegie helped create the Simplified Spelling Board to promote a retooling of written English and President Theodore Roosevelt tried to force the government to use simplified spelling in its publications. But advocates aren't giving up.”

Andrew Carnegie and Teddy teaming up? Who knew? Teddy Roosevelt had his hands in many pots and was certainly a progressive but I never knew that there was any serious consideration about simplified spelling 100 years ago.

As strange as this seems, the article points out that we have just 42 sounds in English but 400 ways to spelling them. I remember my third grade teacher telling us that in his native language (Lithuanian, I think) they spelled words phonetically and I was so jealous.

The article goes on to say that the idea of simplified spelling actually goes back further to attempts by Benjamin Franklin, Daniel Webster and even Mark Twain. Spelling was standardized in America around the time of Franklin and Webster (of Webster’s Dictionary fame) and I can’t help but wish that they would have simplified it back then.

Wut due yue thheenk? Wood it bee u good ieddeeyu tue chaenj or iz it tue much trubool?

Although it would be a cumbersome transition, I think in today’s online world with IM and text messaging that it would be a good idea. Granted, students would have to learn both systems, but it’s much easier to read “old” spelling than to have to spell it yourself. Maybe I’m just biased because I’m not very good at spelling.

No comments: